Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Art of War by Sun Tzu and Star Trek the Next Generation

My first interest in ancient Chinese history was from an episode of Star Trek the next generation called, “The Last Outpost” during their 1st season. I still think that this is one of the best of 1st season episodes. Sadly Sun Tzu was never mentioned in any later episodes and I wish it had been.

Now in this episode the Enterprise’s crew follow the ship of a new race that Starfleet knows very little. This race is known as the Ferengi. They follow the Ferengi to a planet where both ships discover that someone on the planet has a powerful tractor beam hold their ships.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Commander William Riker talk about Sun Tzu.
Picard:
“Sometimes, Riker. The best way to fight is not to be there.”
Riker:
“Yes, sir. He will triumph who knows when to fight and when not to fight.”
Picard:
“Glad the academy is still teaching the strategies of Sun Tzu.”

They agree to beam down to the planet and work together to free both ships. On the planet the Enterprise’s away team commanded by Commander William Riker is betrayed and ambushed by the Ferengi. The away team fights back and then the planet’s single inhabitant, the Guardian, appears. He is dressed in a robe and carries a halberd. He challenges Riker to combat.

“You have a single chance for life. One only,” the guardian says. “What is the answer to my challenge? I offer a thought; he will triumph who knows when to fight and when not to fight. You are being tested, Riker. What is the answer?”
“How do you know my name?” Riker says.
The guardian twirls his halberd and swings it down on top of Riker. Riker doesn’t move and the guardian stops his weapon in time.
“Ah. You are facing faith with composure. But what is the answer to my challenge?”
“Fear is the true enemy. The only enemy,” Riker replies.

I watched this episode for the first time in the late eighties. Afterwards I went with my parents to the Bdalton bookstore and I happen to find Samuel Griffith’s translation of The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I took it home and read it. This is one of the reasons that I became interested in Chinese history, philosophy and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment